Monday, December 15, 2008

Bookworms

Our family LOVES to read!
Right now, Nathaniel is reading a biography of John Williams--missionary to Polynesian Islands. Isaiah is reading End of the Drive--a Louis L'Amour novel. Our boys (and me, too!) LOVE his books!
Isaiah is also reading White Fang by Jack London.
Linnea is reading Mandie and the Medicine Man, by Lois Gladys Leppard. This is a delightful series that I read when I was a child.
I am reading a biography of George Mueller.
For our read aloud time, we are reading Old Yeller--a classic!!
For some time, I was feeling so guilty because it seemed I was never able to find the time to read out loud to the kids. There are SO many good books--I want our kids to be immersed in good literature!! But, how to find the time around school and chores??
Then, a friend suggested this and now we do it. It is WONDERFUL!!
I read to them while they fold the laundry.
Yes, they fold all the laundry.
I do "mom and dad's pile" and the towels (I just couldn't let that one go. I gotta have them folded the right way...)
We take all the baskets of clean laundry and I read while they throw them into their separate "heaps".
Each kid folds their own pile and is assigned a little person's pile, too. (The three- and two-year -olds can't fold really well. But, they do like to put away their own if I let them!)
They are all quiet while I read, and their hands are busy doing something productive. It is a total win-win in our house!
We can usually get in at least two chapters while they fold. Work gets done and no guilt for me about not reading!
I am always interested in good books--leave a comment and let me know what you like to read!

1 comment:

  1. You know Melissa, when a friend gives you a good idea like this you really should mention them by name! LOL!!!
    Our favorite read alouds have been Because of Winn Dixie, all of the Little House books, The Tale of Despereaux, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Goose Girl, The Princess Academy (even your boys would like this), Journey to the End of the World (this is historical fiction about the voyage of Magellan...it is very good but you need to read it aloud so you can edit. Don't just hand to to a kid to read, it has some not so appropriate spots.), Stealing Shakespere and Shylock's Daughter are some of the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. We are going to start the Christmas Barn today, one of my favorite Christmas chapter books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...