Monday, December 22, 2008

yummy...

We had this for supper the other night. It is SO good.
I'll give you the recipe as it was in the cookbook, and then I'll tell you how I modified it.
(For future reference, "supper" is our evening meal and "dinner" is our noon meal. I grew up on a farm and married a farmer, so that's just how it is. I also call this a "hotdish" because I live in Minnesota. Others may call it a "casserole", but a hotdish by any other name is still a hotdish...)

Chicken Wild Rice Hotdish
1 (6 oz.) pkg. long-grain wild rice mix
3 T. + 1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
dash of black pepper
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
12 oz. chicken broth
2 T. butter
1/4 c. onion, chopped
5 c. cooked chicken
1/4 c. parsley, chopped

Prepare wild rice mix according to package directions. Add all remaining ingredients and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.


How easy is that???? And cheap, too! No weird things that my kids won't eat, either.
I doubled the rice and halved the chicken (of course) and it was enough to feed the 8 of us at the table, with leftovers afterward.
I'm thinking that this would make a good take-along dish for Christmas, too.
Let me know if you try it and like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...