Thursday, September 16, 2010

How We Obey

There are two reasons why I am sharing this picture:
1.  I thought my grandpa looked pretty cute wearing Elijah's cowboy hat.
2.  I've been wanting to share "How We Obey" and I happened to notice while looking through these birthday party pictures, that it was included on this one.
(My mom was so nice to let us have her pictures of the party, as taking pictures with my cell phone just ain't cuttin' it.  It seems a cruel irony indeed that as much as I love taking pictures of my eight beautiful children, a {functional}camera just isn't in the budget. *sigh*

ANYway...
back to
How We Obey.

See that little sign right by my grandpa's head?
The one that's to the right of both the world map and United States map that are pinned to the wall? (Yes, we homeschool.)
The one that is just down and to the right of our alphabet chart? (Yes, we homeschool.)
Yeah, that's the one.

It's entitled 
How We Obey
and underneath it are these words
quickly
cheerfully
completely

That's how it happens
every. single. time.
here at our house.

Guffaw!  Ha! Chuckle. Snort. Snort.

*Ahem.*

Ahh...Not quite.

That is our goal,
it is not our reality.

I've been working on this as of late, though,
one element at a time
even though I've had that sign up for about four years.

It seems I had gotten a bit lax in these areas,
and, whaddya know--there's been a few more kids in those four years who
are learning to obey quickly, cheerfully, and completely!

I realized I was allowing WAAAAY too much,
"Yeah, Mom.!  In a minute...I'm just gonna ________ first."
In that blank may be inserted any one (or more) of the following:
put away my shoes
finish my coloring
finish my game
do one more race with my car
ride my bike around one more time
get a drink
use the bathroom
tell so-and-so something
etcetera, etcetera, ad infinitum...

Minutes would pass and I, assuming they had done what was asked of them,
would be moving along to the next thing.
"Insert Child's Name--you need to do such-and-such now."
"But Mom, you told me to do __________."

"And you haven't done it???" I'd ask incredulously.
"No," they'd answer.  "I needed to ___________ first."

Arghhhhhhh.
Such frustration,
for all of us.

It has just been this past week that I've decided to really crack down on the
"just-a-minutes".
Mom (or Dad) need to be quickly obeyed.

As a friend once shared
"To delay is to disobey."

I've seen a difference--
I had to quit letting them disobey me with all their delaying.
It has meant enforcing some consequences that I'd ordinarily
not push through on.

I knew I needed to do this
or we'd all lose what's left of our minds.

Next up?
Cheerfully.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa, I LOVE this! I will have to borrow this one. I will post it along with a list that I cam up with of all the "lessons" that I feel like I am repeating over and over. I too am ready to eliminate the frustration and have the girls obey quickly, cheerfully and what's the last one??? Oh there it is...completely. YES! I must post this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just LOVE LOVE LOVE reading your posts!! It at times is exactly what is going through my head...I just don't have the talent or skill to put into words as you do!! You are one amazing lady!! keep on sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...