Monday, December 13, 2010

I'm an Idiot

No one has ever accused me of being well-spoken.

I'd like to think I'm well-read, that much of what I write is well-thought-out, but that's most likely a matter of personal opinion. (as in, mine.)

I feel awkward in social situations...I make stupid jokes and feel like it's my obligation to fill silence with words.  Call me Chandler.
I'm getting better than I used to be, but still slip up from time to time.

This past week was no exception.

We were at our church's Christmas party, standing in line to eat.  My older boys were just ahead of me in line and we were visiting with a couple that was next to us.

Dennis had given the boys the night off from chores so that we could go to this evening at church...we were explaining that to the couple.  Isaiah happened to mention that Dad is really good at getting the calves off the bottle and onto a pail.  (We feed baby calves via bottle for roughly 2 weeks, then they are weaned off the bottle and taught to drink milk from a pail.  The calves are Isaiah's responsibility and he says Dad has better results when trying to wean from bottle to pail.)

So what do I say after Isaiah's statement?

You'll like this, I know.

I said, "Dad's a good wean-er, isn't he."
(Now say that out loud.)

Isaiah could barely contain himself, but he did well.

The man we were speaking to tried hard, too.

I felt like an idiot and my face turned several shades of red.

Maybe I should just stick to reading and blogging.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Talk about "open mouth, insert foot" moment! I am the same way in social situations. I'm always trying to fill the silence and don't like starting conversations. I'd rather blend in and just listen. I like when my kids are around because they distract....horrible, isn't it? I think that you are very well spoken. We had a great conversation on the phone and I learned so much from you. Have a great Monday!
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!!!Thanks for Sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a similar faux pa but since my name is attached to this comment, I'm not ready to share it for everyone to see, (especially shared family members that could read it) I'll tell you one day when we don't have so much of an audience!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...