Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Q and A: Cloth Diapers

Hi Melissa,
I have a few questions for you... Do you still have 3 in diapers? Do you use all prefolds? I read in another post you had that as first you didn't CD, at what point did you decide to CD? How long, or how many children, would you guess that your diapers will last through? Have you considered elimination communication, or would it be more work than it's worth?
Thanks Melissa!
-Genevieve


I love to entertain questions!  It is my nature to always ask, ask, ask because that is how we learn--about life and about each other.
Thank you for your question, Genevieve!

So, do I still have three in diapers--No. * Only* two. ;-)  Ruby (2) and Ivy (9 mos.)
Do I use all prefolds?  Yes.  I use Chinese prefolds; I have both 6 ply and 8 ply. These are certainly the most economical for cloth diapering.  I also think their design allows them to get washed more thoroughly.  I have not had any problem with buildup or stink.  I have tried one fitted diaper much like this one and two contour diapers and I prefer the prefolds because they won't stink!  I have used a snappi, but I have found a fold that works well and then I don't need the snappi. (just fold down the top of the diaper as much as you need for length and then fold it in thirds, lay it in the cover and voila! I have not had problems with them bunching down in the cover...if it becomes a problem, just use a snappi or a pin.)
I use Thirsties covers and LOVE them.  Again, very economical.  And cute.

I vividly recall when I decided to cloth diaper.  I was expecting child #7, and putting #s 5 and 6 in the tub.  I was just thinking things in my head and literally caught my breath when I did the math--realizing that when Ruby was born I would have THREE in DIAPERS.  I cried.  Seriously.  For like 5 seconds, but still.
It just so happened that I came across an article in a magazine about a mom who began her own business selling cloth diapers.  Within the article was an invitation to order her free catalog--so I did.  I showed it to my mom; she had also read the same article!  I thought if anyone would say I was crazy, she would.  She said, "I absolutely think you can do this."
I literally read through that catalog a bazillion times; it contained many helpful articles about cd-ing.

How long, or how many children, would I guess that my diapers will last through? Well, I'm on the 4th child using the diapers.  They are showing some wear, but still do the job very well.  I wash every other day and I just store them dry in a garbage pail.  I don't soak the diapers because then they are stewing in sewage. I do soak the covers, just in a small rubbermaid storage container in the laundry room.  I wash diapers and covers seperately.
I keep some disposables on hand for just-in-case...like if for some reason I'm out of covers (I need to get some more with two girls wearing the same size).  I would say I buy a package of diapers at Target about once every two months, if that.  Cloth diapering does require a bit of an investment up front, but it is so worth it to not have to be buying diapers all the time! And you can't argue with the savings of having several children be able to wear the same diapers!  I wish I would have started sooner!

Have I considered elimination communication, or would it be more work than it's worth? I have only considered it very briefly--as in, for about 2 seconds, if that.  My friend has done elimination communication, and I feel bad that I haven't asked her more about it.  Obviously with as much consideration as I've given it, I have zero ground to stand on on which to offer an opinion.

Again, thanks for the question!  I hope you found my answers to be helpful!

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a great informative post on cloth diapers. I'm the opposite of Genevieve, as I use cloth diapers that are a bit more expensive. I tried prefolds, but could never get used to them and didn't like the bulk. I like my all-in-ones and while they are still a bit spendy, I have gotten thru them with three girls and I've still saved much money. Anyway, I just wanted to comment that I liked the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I stumbled across your blog the other day and have really been enjoying your posts. We're planning to home school our daughter when she gets a little older (she's only 9 months now), so I'm definitely enjoying your thoughts.

    We are also using cloth diapers with her. I bought the Indian prefolds and also use the Thirsties covers. I love using cloth diapers and I really dislike disposables when I do have to use them because I haven't been able to do laundry. I have had NO problem with diaper rash and her skin is so smooth and dry. It's one of the best decisions we've made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for answering all my questions, Melissa!

    I love my prefolds, but I've also found myself loving my flats too! I do have several AIO's for when other people watch my daughter.

    It's very interesting to hear you say that your diapers have lasted so long. It's such a great investment. I'm hoping mine will last that long too.

    I also use a dry rubbermaid garbage can. Do you wash your covers separately to protect them?

    I do have another question (you thought I was done). How many diapers of each size do you have?

    Thanks so much Melissa! This was a very informative post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...