Friday, April 15, 2011

But Do You Know Him?

My younger children will sometimes ask me if so-and-so is a Christian.
It might be someone in our extended family, a friend, or someone from church.

Sometimes I'm able to answer.
Sometimes I don't know the answer.

I finally came up with a response for my children, for the times when I don't know what to say about the person in question.

I ask them:
Do you know who the president is?   Yes.
What's his name?  Barack Obama.
Do you know him?  usually a slight hesitation and then...Yes.
If I showed you a picture of him, you'd know him, right?  Yes.
But do you really know him?  As in, he's your friend and you could walk right up to him and he would know your name?   Uhhhh, no.
So what you really mean is, you know who he is, but you don't know him. Is that right?  Yeah. That's right.


Sometimes people think that because they know about Jesus, or have heard about him all their life, or grew up in a home where prayers were said and church was attended, that they know Him.
But they really only know who He is.

In order to really know Him, you must accept Him as your Savior.

It is the prayer of my heart that each of you reading this would make that decision--the one that will make sure that your name...YOUR NAME is written forever in the Lamb's Book of Life.

If you need help knowing what to say, the following may be helpful to you:

Lord Jesus Christ,
I admit I am a sinner and that I have done wrong, both in thoughts and actions.  My sins have separated me from your holy presence.  I am unable to save myself.


I believe that you love me, and that you came to this earth and died on the cross for my sins.  You suffered and paid the price for my sins and offered to be my Savior and to forgive me.


I confess my need for a Savior to you.  I ask you to help me repent of my sin and surrender myself to you and to your holy will.  Please forgive me of my sins and cleanse me.  Please come into my heart and be my Savior and Lord.


I will acknowledge my relationship with you to my friends and family.  Please help me not to be ashamed of you.  Thank you that you have promised to not be ashamed of me.


In Your name I pray,


Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. With my siblings, I've responded to that question with "We don't know them, and therefore we don't know where their heart is at. We should pray for them regardless".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...