Thursday, September 15, 2011

How Do We View Children?

If you do nothing else today,
please, please, pretty please
click the link below
and read the article
Motherhood Is a Calling (And Where Your Children Rank)

Paragraphs that struck a chord with me:
"[According to the world] Children rank way below college.  Below world travel for sure.  Below the ability to go out at night at your leisure.  Below honing your body at the gym.  Below any job you have or hope to get.  In fact, children rate below your desire to sit around and pick your toes, if that is what you want to do.  Below everything.  Children are the last thing you should ever spend your time doing." 
 "Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling.  You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in.  It is what God gave you time for."
"Christian mothers carry their children in hostile territory.  When you are in public with them, you are standing with, and defending, the objects of cultural dislike.  You are publicly testifying that you value what God values, and that you refuse to value what the world values.  You stand with the defenseless and in front of the needy.  You represent everything that our culture hates, because you represent laying down your life for another--and laying down your life for another represents the gospel."
I know one thing:
I want my hands to be full of good things
and for my life to testify to that. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this article! Motherhood is definitely a calling, and one that I feel very blessed to have received. With our 4 children, I have received many comments (even from family and friends) that show how little value our culture places on children. Just the other day, an older woman asked me if I was crazy for having 4 children. And she asked right in front of them. I agree about wanting my life to testify to God's blessings and His values. Thank you for this post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...