Sunday, February 5, 2012

40 Years

Today is my parents' 40th anniversary.
We are planning a party for them later this month.

Forty years...four decades.

In 1972, a gallon of gas cost $0.55.
Nixon was president and Watergate began.  
(My dad actually worked in the White House at that time--no kidding!)
An era of lava lamps, 8 track players and fondue
when people watched Here's Lucy, Hawaii Five-O, and The Brady Bunch.

In 1982
gas was $0.91 and a postage stamp was $0.20 and a major recession hit the US.
The first cd player was sold in Japan and the Weather Channel aired on cable for the first time.
People watched Magnum, P.I., Dynasty, and Falcon Crest--when they weren't watching Dallas, of course.
Who shot JR??  Do you remember??

In 1992 a gallon of gas was $1.05 and a pound of bacon was $1.92.
Ross Perot announced he would run against Bill Clinton and President Bush.
The Mall of America was built and DNA fingerprinting is invented.
America's Funniest Home Videos came on the scene and Andy Griffith played Matlock.

2002
Gas was $1.61 and the No Child Left Behind Act was signed into law.
 George W. and Tony Blair were household names.

Forty years, four decades, four children, and now 12 grandchildren!

Some of the things my parents have imparted to us were strong moral values,
love of family, a strong work ethic, discipline, consequences,
and a sense of humor. 

One of the things that my dad has said that has always stuck with me is 
when we would see my mom and dad being affectionate (and they still are!),
we kids would roll our eyes, make gagging noises, turn away, or do all three.
My dad would smile and say,
"You just wait--one day I hope you find someone to love you as much as I love your mom."

There has never been any doubt that my dad loves my mom.
(and vice versa--my mom is a SAINT!) 
*wink*

I'm so thankful for the relationship they have with each other.
They have stayed together when falling apart has become the norm.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...