Friday, September 7, 2012

Fridays on the Farm

The title of my blog reveals that I am a farmer's wife.
I haven't blogged over-much regarding our farm life,
but it is a very important part of who I am individually and who we are as a family!

I grew up on a dairy farm, too.
My dad sold his cows in February 1995 and I married Dennis in September of 1996.
Aside from those intervening 19 months, I've spent my whole life on a farm!
Dennis has lived here his whole life--he's never even had a different phone number.
He's been a farmer since the day he was born. :)

In an effort to honor our heritage and our way of life, I wanted to start a new little something here on my blog.
I wish I was a little more tech-savvy so I could create a button
(Believe me, I tried!!  I'll keep trying, but if someone wants to help me I'd be ever so grateful!)
but for now we'll have to settle for this fun picture I created using a photo I took of my brother's barn.

The "new little something" I want to start will be called 
Fridays on the Farm.
I want to use it as a time to purposefully share a bit about our farm,
to show you what one small, family owned and operated, independent, dairy farm looks like.

There are very few such farms left.
Our is one of them.

So, without further ado, I'll begin!



The crops have been growing so well here in our area of MN this year.
We have been relatively unscathed by the drought that has swept it's way through the mid-west.

The boys had been in the field with Dennis this week and upon their return, they called me to the door to come look at this:
12 foot corn!
That is seriously tall corn, just so y'know.

Then, because boys will be boys, they began jousting with the stalks!
It was rather difficult to make any real impact on each other
but it was great fun nonetheless.

Christopher about busted a gut laughing at those brothers!!!

We are anxiously awaiting harvest,
when the corn can come off the field and go in to town.

If you'd like to share something about your farm
or a memory that this post triggered about an experience you had on a farm
I'd love for you to leave a comment!
If you have a blog, I'd love if you linked up to me
(feel free to grab the top picture until I get that little ol' button figured out)
with a Fridays on the Farm post of your own!

2 comments:

  1. We live 5 minutes from my in-laws, who are one of the last independent, family owned and operated, dairy farms in this area. And my in-laws are thinking of getting out. They're running out of kids to help (down to the last one!) and it's just too much for my MIL to help all the time.

    And I'm so glad you guys weren't hit bad by the drought! I know my parents are dealing with bad pastures right now, but last time we were home the fields were looking nice. It's not so pretty here! The farmers are just chopping their corn for silage, because they aren't getting anything. My FIL might try to combine his because he thinks he can get 40 bushels. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted too, because I think this is an awesome idea. :)
    www.ndwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...